Re: technical terms overhaul

On Fri, 19 Jun 2020, Eike Lantzsch wrote:

On Friday, 19 June 2020 17:42:51 -04 davidson wrote:
On Fri, 19 Jun 2020, Eike Lantzsch wrote:
On the danger of starting a flame war ...
thinking about the article by Gunnar Wolf on Planet Debian

Link?
https://gwolf.org/2020/06/on-masters-and-slaves-whitelists-and-blacklists.html
I thought that Planet Debian is well known on this list.  I'm sorry
not to have provided the link right away.

I am glad to have the link. Thank you.

Let us remember that $Giantcorp and $Nationstate hold power at orders
of magnitude higher than we do, who are the poor slobs who may be
incited (or not) to fight over just how woke (or not) to make this
relatively non-technical vocabulary.

$Giantcorp will be happy to call their filters whatever. And change
nothing meaningful.

Blacklist/whitelist are folksy names for the dual concepts of
filter/ideal, respectively. No need to make up new words. The famously
Woke field of mathematics already did the work for us.

We don't call it St Petersburg due to our fervent anti-communist
beliefs. And when we called it Leningrad, that told you nothing
meaningful about our ideology either. And so on.

We called it whatever we called it because the historical analogues of
$Giantcorp and $Nationstate, in terms of real power---including the
power to name things---decided that's what it was called.

$Giantcorp will be very happy to change some names, and watch us
pretend that not only has something meaningful changed, but that it
was us who changed it.

$Giantcorp just loves it when we delude ourselves.

Gunnar Wolf writes,

  Etymological discussions on what, say, “master” really means may be
  interesting, but they miss the point and are irrelevant to this
  discussion.

and I agree with Wolf there, if nowhere else. Meaning is not at all
the point. Power is the point. We are MEANT to think meaning is at
issue. We are meant to be idiots divided.

Naming things is a demonstration of power you already have. The name
you choose doesn't matter. $Giantcorp knows this.

Contentious spats about the names of things don't change the
world. Names are not magic words. The world changes names, not the
other way around. (Go ahead, find a counterexample and I'll promptly
retract my claim.)

[rest snipped as I did not intend to use offensive speech - rather
the opposite]

Getting some strong Poe's Law vibes from you here. Thanks for the laugh.

All the best to you

You too, dear stranger. Stay free.

--
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=12518471 alexk already addressed
your concern: your keys, preferably issued by your org's CA (instead