Re: Disabling recommends - was [Re: bash-completion pros/cons]

On Fri 19 Jun 2020 at 06:23:00 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:

> On 06/18/2020 10:25 PM, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> > On Mi, 17 iun 20, 06:51:18, Richard Owlett wrote:
> > >
> > > The purpose is to determine if I want to do future installs debootstrap.
> > > I attempted to use debootstrap a few years ago and understand it will take
> > > some time/effort to learn it.
> >
> > If you are going to start from scratch you should consider mmdebstrap
> > instead (preferably the version in bullseye). It is mostly a drop-in
> > replacement for deboostrap, but significantly faster and with some very
> > useful additional features.
>
> IIRC I had looked at it when experimenting with debootstrap and was confused
> by its use of chroot. My goal was creating a bootable system on a flash
> drive.
>

> > As to the learning curve, deboostrap itself is quite easy. The hard part
> > is getting a usable system *after* the deboostrap step.
> >
> > At that point one gets to really appreciate the hard work that went
> > behind debian-installer ;)
>
> You are "preaching to the choir" ;/

I've sometimes thought you were using a different hymn sheet though. :)

> That why I'm investigating making the installer do what I want.

That's a laudable aim, but d-i will not be bent to doing what it is not
designed to do. For example, suppose you want to install the MATE task
without its recommended packages; you are on a loser.

> In a way, my underlying problem is Debian has done too good a job
> in creating a system maximally useful to the broadest spectrum of users.
> They don't use my preferred programs for some functions and including
> functions I have no interest in. That results in unnecessary clutter and
> size.

I am unsure whether Debian has created any system. What it has done is
an outstanding job of packaging and providing a competent installer. It
is up to a user to create a system that suits their needs.

Your preferred programs are not installed using task-mate-desktop? It
includes programs of little interest to you? Dead easy. Do

  apt install install task-mate-desktop --no-install-recommends

and go from there.

--
Brian.