Re: Grub cannot see my new hard drive

I'm starting a fresh thread for this.

I booted from a USB 2.0 flash drive into Grub2. Then I asked Grub for a command prompt. Then I issued the following three commands:

grub> linux (hd2,msdos1)/vmlinuz root=/dev/sdb1 ro
grub> initrd (hd2,msdos1)/initrd.img
grub> boot

/dev/sda is the internal hard drive in the laptop computer.
/dev/sdb is the new 4 TB Toshiba External USB 3.0 hard drive.

/dev/sdc and /dev/sdd are currently USB 2.0 flash drives with an ext4 file system on the first and only partition. Both use a DOS MBR partition table that sets the first partition as active/bootable.

The hard drive, /dev/sdb, always responds faster than the USB flash drives so it is always /dev/sdb.

Now Debian Linux is running on my new hard drive using /dev/sdb1 as the root partition. I need to set up a separate USB flash drive to do all of this by default so I don't have to do all of this work every time the computer boots up. I also need to install Grub2 on the backup USB flash drive so I can use it to boot my system if something goes wrong and the first USB flash drive that I just used gets screwed up as well.

name=Matthew%20Campbell&email=trenix25%40pm.me