Re: libc-bin "cycle found while processing triggers"

On 6/16/20 6:03 AM, Dan Ritter wrote:
Gary Aitken wrote:
On 6/15/20 3:37 PM, Dan Ritter wrote:
Gary Aitken wrote:
When originally built, the system had a screwed-up postfix installation;
in attempting to solve this problem, I wanted to uninstall postfix and
reinstall it.  However, I don't think I should do that because the postfix
installation has an issue:

$ aptitude why postfix
i   automysqlbackup Depends  bsd-mailx | mailx
i A bsd-mailx       Depends  default-mta | mail-transport-agent
i A postfix         Provides mail-transport-agent

Can anyone give me some clues on how to resolve this?

The main goal is to uninstall postfix and re-install it, without uninstalling
the automysqlbackup as this is a production system and the autobackup is
working properly.  I believe the postfix dependency is for cases where the
auto-backup fails; it's also preventing mail from being delivered for failing
cron jobs.

sudo apt install --reinstall postfix

sudo dpkg-reconfigure postfix

might do what you want. In general, Debian derivatives will try
to prevent you from uninstalling critical machinery, like libc.

I've already tried reconfiguring and reinstalling postfix, to no avail.

Yes, but did apt install --reinstall help?

The reason I think I need to do a purge is the conf files are what is screwed
up (I think), and a reinstall doesn't mess with them:

# apt install --reinstall postfix
Setting up postfix (3.1.0-3ubuntu0.3) ...

Postfix configuration was untouched.  If you need to make changes, edit
/etc/postfix/main.cf (and others) as needed.  To view Postfix configuration
values, see postconf(1).

After modifying main.cf, be sure to run '/etc/init.d/postfix reload'.

Running newaliases
Job for postfix.service failed because the control process exited with error code. See "systemctl status postfix.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.
invoke-rc.d: initscript postfix, action "restart" failed.
● postfix.service - LSB: Postfix Mail Transport Agent
   Loaded: loaded (/etc/init.d/postfix; bad; vendor preset: enabled)
  Drop-In: /run/systemd/generator/postfix.service.d
           └─50-postfix-$mail-transport-agent.conf
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Tue 2020-06-16 14:50:45 UTC; 11ms ago
     Docs: man:systemd-sysv-generator(8)
  Process: 18523 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/postfix start (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Jun 16 14:50:43 xblgx-ops systemd[1]: Stopped LSB: Postfix Mail Transport Agent.
Jun 16 14:50:43 xblgx-ops systemd[1]: Starting LSB: Postfix Mail Transport Agent...
Jun 16 14:50:43 xblgx-ops postfix[18523]:  * Starting Postfix Mail Transport Agent postfix
Jun 16 14:50:44 xblgx-ops postfix[18615]: fatal: bad string length 0 < 1: mailq_path =
Jun 16 14:50:45 xblgx-ops postfix[18523]:    ...fail!
Jun 16 14:50:45 xblgx-ops systemd[1]: postfix.service: Control process exited, code=exited status=1
Jun 16 14:50:45 xblgx-ops systemd[1]: Failed to start LSB: Postfix Mail Transport Agent.
Jun 16 14:50:45 xblgx-ops systemd[1]: postfix.service: Unit entered failed state.
Jun 16 14:50:45 xblgx-ops systemd[1]: postfix.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
dpkg: error processing package postfix (--configure):

Unfortunately, I don't see a way to do the equivalent of purge --reinstall
and ignore the dependencies so automysqlbackup is left intact:

$ apt --simulate purge --reinstall postfix
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  automysqlbackup* bsd-mailx* postfix*
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 3 to remove and 140 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
Purg automysqlbackup [2.6+debian.4-1]
Purg bsd-mailx [8.1.2-0.20160123cvs-2]
Purg postfix [3.1.0-3ubuntu0.3]

$  apt --simulate --ignore-depends bsd-mailx purge --reinstall postfix
E: Command line option --ignore-depends is not understood in combination with the other options

Gary