Re: libc-bin "cycle found while processing triggers"

Gary Aitken wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm attempting to manage a google-compute system running debian/ubuntu;
> I normally run a freebsd system so I'm out of my element here and web
> searches haven't helped:
>
> When originally built, the system had a screwed-up postfix installation;
> in attempting to solve this problem, I wanted to uninstall postfix and
> reinstall it.  However, I don't think I should do that because the postfix
> installation has an issue:
>
> $ aptitude why postfix
> i   automysqlbackup Depends  bsd-mailx | mailx
> i A bsd-mailx       Depends  default-mta | mail-transport-agent
> i A postfix         Provides mail-transport-agent
>
> Can anyone give me some clues on how to resolve this?

> The main goal is to uninstall postfix and re-install it, without uninstalling
> the automysqlbackup as this is a production system and the autobackup is
> working properly.  I believe the postfix dependency is for cases where the
> auto-backup fails; it's also preventing mail from being delivered for failing
> cron jobs.

sudo apt install --reinstall postfix

sudo dpkg-reconfigure postfix

might do what you want. In general, Debian derivatives will try
to prevent you from uninstalling critical machinery, like libc.

Ubuntu, however, is now relatively distantly derived from
Debian; there should be an ubuntu-users list...

-dsr-