Re: Unable to boot new buster installation

On 6/11/20 1:24 AM, Dominique Dumont wrote:
On mercredi 10 juin 2020 19:53:53 CEST Gary L. Roach wrote:
The sequence of events on boot up are Bios screen, Debian Window with OS
selection, Boot up sequence, login/password ( Xorg not running), startx
-> error window. So to answer your question, the message is after
login/password.
Right.. Looks like there's no display manager installed. Depending on your
favorite environment, could you install one of sddm, lxdm or gdm ?

On my side, I used sddm.

Question: Where is the file that contains the display setup (ie refresh
rate, resolution.)
This can be set in /etc/X11/xorg.conf in some cases (e.g. for nvidia
hardware). Now, most of the required information is retrieved from hardware by
Xorg. xorg.conf can usually be removed (except with nvidia driver).

Where would randr get its information if Xorg was
running?
>From Xorg process.

I would have responded sooner but have been hit with a severe case of
Vertigo.
No problem.

All the best

Dod

I think I have finally found the problem. Running "journalct -xb" and running down the listing, I found that I was missing a Radeon video driver. The driver is non-free and the installation disk doesn't setup the sources.list for non-free downloads. So I'm in a catch 22 situation. When I install the net-install buster disk and switch to recover mode the network is not available  and without the network I can't get the firmware I need to get the system started. I've tried the debian-live-10.40-amd64-kde+non-free disk and found it very confusing. In short, it didn't work either. There is a firmware package "firmware-amd-graphics"in the debian suit but without network access I can't get at it.

If anyone could tell me how to start the network in rescue mode it would help. Why is the network shut down in rescue mode in the first place.

Gary R