Re: Zoom- best practice?

On Mon, Jun 08, 2020 at 02:59:13PM -0600, Tom Dial wrote:

> On 6/7/20 14:14, Russell L. Harris wrote:
> > On Sun, Jun 07, 2020 at 03:56:17PM -0400, The Wanderer wrote:
> >> Yeah, but that's not building Jitsi; that's installing a prebuilt Jitsi,
> >> as shipped in those packages.
> >>
> >> Presumably, as those packages are for download from the authors'
> >> Website, the authors are the ones who built them. Thus, this doesn't
> >> demonstrate that anyone other than the authors have been able to build
> >> Jitsi.
> >
> > So? It is an open-source alternative to Zoom, and it works.  Of
> > course, if you are worried that the builders put in something
> > malicious or dangerous which is not in the open source repository,
> > then you can turn to Zoom, or build your own, or do without...
> >
> > Though objectivity is prudent, we ought be promoting alternatives to
> > Zoom, rather than torpedoing them.
>
> If you cannot build an executable from source, you do not know whether
> the binary you downloaded represents the source faithfully.

Can we stop that already? Nobody proved you can't build Jitsi or
BBB from source. Everyone here is just too friggin' lazy to even
try.

Can we give 'em the benefit of the doubt until someone really makes
his hands ditry on that?

That's how fake news spread, btw.

I think it's somewhat disgusting. Folks, put up... or shut up now.

Cheers
-- t