Re: Jitsi can be built

On Mon, Jun 08, 2020 at 05:28:06PM +0300, Reco wrote:
> 	Hi.
>
> On Mon, Jun 08, 2020 at 02:17:27PM +0100, John ff wrote:
> > A local member of the LUG here built jitsi from sources and he is not
> > an IT professional.  From that I infer that it is possible.
>
> I will assume
         ^^^^^^
Aha.

> 4) Possible (too lazy to check it) arbitrary file downloads during the
               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I think it's a bit unfair to state such assumptions without really
checking in-depth.

I've had a look at the jitsi-desktop environment, and the couple
of .jar I saw are more or less standard Java components.

Of course, it's an anti-pattern (quite widespread, alas) to ingest
external components into a repo. And the buildery in the Java world
is... well, I lack polite terms for that.

A clean Debian packaging would try to replace those components by
library packages to depend on. And so on.

But jumping to the conclusion that the thing is "not really free"
is a big jump to do. And saying that "non-professionals" (what's
this, anyway?) can't do this is downright wrong.

Cheers
-- t