Re: Zoom- best practice?

On 2020-06-07 at 15:34, Nicolas George wrote:

> Darac Marjal (12020-06-07):
>
>> That's a rather ironic thing to say on a Debian mailing list :)
>
> To the best of my knowledge, Debian is not the author of most
> packages, and yet build them from source themselves: that proves the
> packages are actually Libre Software. Again to the best of my
> knowledge, for most packages, any user can rebuild them from source
> and it works, Debian makes a lot of effort for that.
>
> Can you say the same for these repositories?

FWIW, in response to this thread I just went on an attempt to build
Jitsi myself. As far as I can tell at a skim of their Website and GitHub
pages, this seems to consist of two components, which are kept in
separate repositories and built / packaged separately: jitsi-meet /
jitsi-meet-web, the Web-interface UI for accessing the system, and
jitsi-videobridge, the actual videoconferencing backend (or something
like that).

I was able to successfully build a jitsi-videobridge Debian package from
current GitHub master, via dpkg-buildpackage, with only a little
difficulty and a few false starts.

I failed utterly in building a jitsi-meet(-web) Debian package from
current GitHub master by the same method; at least one file it relies
upon early in the build (css/all.css) is not included in the repository,
the tools it appears to expect to use to build that file do not appear
to be included or declared as build dependencies, and I don't see any
build documentation at all aside from debian/rules and the (generated?)
Makefile.

I could probably bang my head against this wall for a while longer and
get it working, but I don't care to install more things onto my machine
in stabs in the dark for something I don't actually currently plan to use.

So your point about this at least not being straightforward to build
seems proven, at least to a first-effort approximation.

--
   The Wanderer