Re: Firefox over JACK in Debian Testing

On Sun, Jun 07, 2020 at 12:25:30AM -0300, riveravaldez wrote:
> Hi, here's the thing:
>
> AFAIK Firefox lacks JACK support (in the sense that you can start JACK
> and then Firefox and then, automatically, all I/O audio-ports Firefox
> generated, appear as available JACK connections, let's say), even
> more: that seems to be a design/development decision - meaning: will
> not change.

No idea about JACK, but, FWIW Debian still builds its Firefox with
ALSA enabled [1] (I don't know about the situation in testing, though).

You can find our about your browser's compile config by invoking
about:buildconfig (about:support may be of interest, too).

That said, I never got Firefox to play nice with ALSA. There are many
hints strewn around in the intra tubes, like reducing the syscall
sandbox's security level and things. No idea about whether my fingers
are too fat or whether the non-Pulse audio code in FF has rotted beyond
the point.

In the end, I resorted to apulse (packaged in Debian), which just
pretends to be a pulse lib but then goes and talks directly to
ALSA. Works a charm.

Ugly details on request :-)

Cheers

[1] That's the version I'm referring to:
    firefox-esr/stable,now 68.8.0esr-1~deb10u1 amd64 [installed]

-- tomás