Re: OT: Using a USB hub with 3 computers, 1 printer, 1 external drive (for backup for any of the three PCs)

On Thu, 4 Jun 2020 14:46:50 -0400
rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:

> In a way, the subject covers most of it: " Using a USB hub with 3
> computers, 1 printer, 1 external drive (for backup for any of the
> three PCs)".
>
> I don't know much about USB hubs, I guess all of the ports are two
> way.
>
> To clarify, if needed, I'd like to buy a 5 (or more) port USB (3.0)
> hub to connect 3 PCs, 1 printer, and 1 external drive such that I can
> print or backup from any of the 3 pcs.
>
> I suppose there are two questions:
>
>    1.  Should I expect any problem "hardware wise"?
>
>    2. I suppose I have to consider the mounting of the partitions on
> the drives, I suppose it would be a bad idea to have the same
> partition (or even drive) mounted on more than one pc at the same
> time?
>
> (And I guess I'd have to avoid printing from two computers at the
> same time.)

Sorry, no, it's not going to work. USB is a master-submaster-slave
protocol, and there can only be one master. It's not peer-peer.

This sort of situation is why Ethernet was invented.

--
Joe