Re: OT: Using a USB hub with 3 computers, 1 printer, 1 external drive (for backup for any of the three PCs)

rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:

> In a way, the subject covers most of it: " Using a USB hub with 3 computers, 1
> printer, 1 external drive (for backup for any of the three PCs)".

> I don't know much about USB hubs, I guess all of the ports are two way.

No. This is even enforced in the way the cables and connectors are
designed.

> To clarify, if needed, I'd like to buy a 5 (or more) port USB (3.0) hub to
> connect 3 PCs, 1 printer, and 1 external drive such that I can print or backup
> from any of the 3 pcs.

No.

USB is a tree, there can only be ever one root. You can't connect three
PCs to a USB hub and expect this to work.

> I suppose there are two questions:

>    1.  Should I expect any problem "hardware wise"?

Yes, because it will not work.

There are very special USB sharing devices which allow more than one
computer use connected devices, but those are a) rate and b) expensive.

Grüße.
Sven.

--
Sigmentation fault. Core dumped.