Re: Qt4 and Bullseye

On 2020-05-30 11:50, Gary L. Roach wrote:

Hi all,

I am using Bullseye (testing) because some of the software I use need some of the newer libraries. Unfortunately Bullseye no longer includes the Qt4 libraries and some of my packages still need Qt4. How can I get Qt4 packages for Bullseye. There is probably a backport for this but I have not used backport in the past. I will need a step by step procedure if backporting is needed.

Any questions about why Qt4 is missing in Bullseye can be answered by accessing Debian Bug report logs - #939626. <mailto:939626@bugs.debian.org>

Any help will be sincerely appreciated.

Gary R

AIUI "backports" is newer code running on older Debian. You need the opposite -- older code running on newer Debian.

Apparently, Qt4 is obsolete, Qt4 is no longer supported by its authors, and the Debian project has dropped Qt4 and Qt4 applications as of Debian 10. I presume Qt5 and Qt5 applications are supported by Debian 10.

Have you tried contacting the Qt4 application vendors/ projects to see if they are porting their applications to Qt5?

In the mean time, one possibility would be to build a virtual machine with an older version of Debian that supports Qt4 (e.g. Debian 9), install Qt4, and install your Qt4 applications.

David