Re: files under /boot

On Fri 29 May 2020 at 06:40:50 (-0400), rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
> Ahh, thanks -- I'm not the OP, but I think I'm learning something, and I want
> to confirm at least one point -- see below.
>
> On Thursday, May 28, 2020 09:34:18 PM The Wanderer wrote:
> > What does the following command output?
> >
> > $ dpkg -l "*4.9.0*" | grep ii
>
> First I had to figure out (google) to find what the leading ii means, iiuc, the
> first i means the file (kernel image in this case) should be installed (based on
> something), and the second i indicates that it is installed.
>
> Two questions:
>
> 1. On my Wheezy system, I have 3 kernal images marked ii.  Clearly, only one
> kernel is used on any particular boot, so (as someone else mentioned in a
> later post), the only purpose of the two older kernels is as backup?

Yes, one is a backup, the other was the backup of that backup in the past.

> 1.a. (Ok, I can't count)  And maybe they are marked as need to be installed
> (the first i) because they are in grub as alternate boot possibilities?

I think you need to clarify your thinking on needs and wants.
"i" is neutral. You need one kernel, you may want two. And
kernel images are only Optional, too. "i" carries none of that
meaning, but just that apt was told to install the package.

> 2. As mentioned, I have 3 linux-image files, but only one linux-header file (for
> the latest image (in Wheezy).  Presumably, I've done something wrong somewhere
> along the line, possibly by manually deleting the linux-header files for the
> two older images?

Quite possibly. Most people would leave headers installed for each kernel.
But there's no obligation if you don't do things that use those
particular packages.

> 2.a. (I said I can't count) And, presumably, to get my system closer to a
> correct configuration, I should consider finding and removing the package for
> the oldest kernel?

Normally, apt's configuration would allow you to remove it by typing, say,

# apt-get --purge autoremove

and will even suggest that (perhaps without purge) at the time
a kernel's replacement is configured. Whether you bother might
depend on whether you have a separate /boot, in which case an
upgrade can lead to running out of space for four kernels.

> I guess I'm not very concerned about having a backup kernel (knock on wood) --
> I've been using this kernel for quite a while without problems.

… which is quite different from the OP, who had had their new kernel
installed for less than 10 minutes when posting.

Cheers,
David.