problem with slow network transmission

My network transmission rate seems much slower than it should be.  My desktop
runs Stretch (v9, oldstable) on a Pentium 4 (3 GHz) with 4GB of RAM (the
maximum) and a 1Gbps network interface card (NIC).  We pay for fiber optic
service at 500Mbps.  The specifications for my router (ZyXEL VMG4381-B10A)
say 100/45 Mbps (but more on that below).  Without much else running,
speedtest.net shows rates of just 54/58 Mbps (download/upload).  In all cases
I have a hardwired RJ45 connection between the NIC and the router.  It's no
better if I make a direct connection from the fiber optic cable to the NIC,
bypassing the router.

Meanwhile my wife's Windows 10 laptop, plugged into the router, gets 542/137
Mbps at speedtest.net.  Her laptop has a 2.4-GHz quad core processor, 16GB of
RAM, and (like my desktop) a 1Gbps NIC.  As an aside, I don't understand why
her rate isn't limited by the router to 100Mbps.

Ethtool reports that I have a speed of 1000Mb/s, Full Duplex, and
Auto-negotiation on.  I'll admit that I don't understand all of the
configuration options on the router.

My wife's laptop shows that the service and the router can do 500Mbps with a
1Gbps NIC.  The obvious difference between her laptop and my desktop is the
RAM (16GB vs. 4GB).  Is that the end of the story, or is there some way I can
get my desktop to do much better?

Thanks.