Re: Reorganising disk to increase space in /boot

On 2020-05-22 07:27, Phil Reynolds wrote:
On Thu, 21 May 2020 15:26:29 -0700
David Christensen <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com> wrote:

So:

1.  4 @ 100 MB partitions in RAID1:

          100 MB for /boot

2.  4 @ 100 GB partitions in RAID6 with LVM:

           3.8 GB for swap
           1.5 GB for root
          15.3 GB for /tmp
          38.1 GB for /usr
          77.3 GB for /var
          54.7 GB for /home

         (190.7 GB total)

3.  3 @ 60 GB and 1 @ 400 GB partitions effectively in JBOD:

         580 GB for /scratch

It appears that you have 3 @ 160 GB HDD's and 1 @ 500 GB HDD (?).

Yes, that's right. Stocks of 160GB drives have been practically
exhausted.

Unfortunately your suggestion is unsuitable on grounds of cost - I
can't really spare any money at the present time. However it's an
interesting suggestion and I will work on doing something like that
in the longer term.

New 500 GB HDD's start at $28 each on Amazon.

I prefer Intel SSD 520 Series 60 GB 2.5" SATA for my system drives. Used items start at US $14 each on eBay.

If reliability and/or performance are not as important, if the machine has no available SATA ports, or if I want a "live drive", I use SanDisk Ultra Fit USB 3.0 16 GB flash drives for my system drives. These are now discontinued, but any good USB flash drive should do. New items start under US $10 each on Amazon.

If 160 GB is adequate for /tmp, /usr, /var, and /home, you could set up a 160 GB RAID1 with the three 160 GB HDD's, use the first 14 GB of the 500 GB HDD as your system drive, and use the other 486 GB of the 500 GB HDD for /scratch for zero cost.

David