USB controller resets when burning CD

Please help debug a communication problem with my TEAC DV-W5000U CD/DVD burner. It read and wrote reliably with my 686 PC. I retired that machine, and recently tried to move the burner to one of my 64-bit computers. It reads reliably, but when writing, fails after transferring approximately 150 Mb. Writing disk images smaller than that usually works.

Have tried various burning software, however will use cdrskin as an example, as I think its error messages more useful. At the point cdrskin prematurely quits burning, it complains about the host adapter. So, I looked in syslog, and about the time cdrskin fails, syslog reports the controller xhci_hcd reset the USB device.

Any suggestions appreciated. I hate to give up on the DV-W5000U because it is designed to do especially high-quality burns. Seems to be an ordinary TEAC drive except built to tighter tolerances.

More details:

Version of Debian:
When I first discovered this problem, I had the old computer and one of the new computers both running stretch, set up nearly the same except one was 686 pae and the other amd64. Since retiring the old computer, have tried buster with kernel 4.0.19 and backported 5.0.4. Have not tried testing or unstable.

Information about the DV-W5000U, from lsusb:
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 0644:1010 TEAC Corp.
Device Descriptor:
  bLength                18
  bDescriptorType         1
  bcdUSB               2.00
  bDeviceClass            0
  bDeviceSubClass         0
  bDeviceProtocol         0
  bMaxPacketSize0        64
  idVendor           0x0644 TEAC Corp.
  idProduct          0x1010
  bcdDevice            2.40
  iManufacturer          98 TEAC
  iProduct               76 Disk Checker DK-5000S
  iSerial                63 DEF1151C028D
  bNumConfigurations      1
  Configuration Descriptor:
    bLength                 9
    bDescriptorType         2
    wTotalLength       0x0027
    bNumInterfaces          1
    bConfigurationValue     1
    iConfiguration          0
    bmAttributes         0xc0
      Self Powered
    MaxPower                2mA
    Interface Descriptor:
      bLength                 9
      bDescriptorType         4
      bInterfaceNumber        0
      bAlternateSetting       0
      bNumEndpoints           3
      bInterfaceClass         8 Mass Storage
      bInterfaceSubClass      6 SCSI
      bInterfaceProtocol     80 Bulk-Only
      iInterface              0
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x02  EP 2 OUT
        bmAttributes            2
          Transfer Type            Bulk
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0200  1x 512 bytes
        bInterval               0
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x86  EP 6 IN
        bmAttributes            2
          Transfer Type            Bulk
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0200  1x 512 bytes
        bInterval               0
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x81  EP 1 IN
        bmAttributes            3
          Transfer Type            Interrupt
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0002  1x 2 bytes
        bInterval              12
Device Qualifier (for other device speed):
  bLength                10
  bDescriptorType         6
  bcdUSB               2.00
  bDeviceClass            0
  bDeviceSubClass         0
  bDeviceProtocol         0
  bMaxPacketSize0        64
  bNumConfigurations      1
can't get debug descriptor: Resource temporarily unavailable
Device Status:     0x0001
  Self Powered

An example burn command, followed by the relevant error messages:
cdrskin -v dev=1 speed=4 fs=8m blank=as_needed -eject padsize=300k 640mbfile.iso
Track 01: 139 of 640 MB written (fifo 100%) [buf 98%] 4.0x.cdrskin: FAILURE : SCSI command 2Ah yielded host problem: 0x7 SG_ERR_DID_ERROR (Internal error detected in the host adapter)
cdrskin: FATAL : Lost connection to drive
cdrskin: FAILURE : Failed to synchronize drive cache. SCSI error : [0 00 00] (No error reported by SCSI transaction)

The relevant lines from syslog:
May 22 09:00:51 penguin kernel: [45975.237515] usb 2-9: reset high-speed USB device number 3 using xhci_hcd May 22 09:00:52 penguin kernel: [45976.212240] sr 7:0:0:0: Power-on or device reset occurred