Re: make apt show packages in column

On 2020-05-16 at 20:39, Ihor Antonov wrote:

> Hi
>
> when installing a package with multiple dependencies apt gives an output:
> (example: apt install gnome)
>
>> The following NEW packages will be installed:
>>
>>  accountsservice aisleriot apache2-bin apg baobab bluez bluez-obexd
>>  bogofilter ogofilter-bdb bogofilter-common bolt brasero-common
>>  caribou cheese cheese-common chrome-gnome-shell cracklib-runtime
>>  dconf-cli dleyna-server eog evince evince-common evolution
>>  evolution-common evolution-data-server evolution-data-server-common
>>  evolution-plugin-bogofilter evolution-plugin-pstimport
>>  evolution-plugins file-roller five-or-more
> output truncated
>
> It is very inconvenient to inspect the list of installed packages in
> such output. Is it possible to make apt output this in a column?

Not as far as I know.

I generally deal with it by getting the output into a file (either by
"highlight, middle-click paste into an edit buffer, save to a file", or
by using --dry-run and redirecting the output and editing the result
down), then passing it through a suitable sed filter to translate the
spaces into newlines. That's a bit unwieldy, but I don't tend to need to
do it very often.

> For example:
>> The following NEW packages will be installed:
>>
>>  accountsservice  (version, size, ...)
>>  aisleriot
>>  apache2-bin
>>  apg
>>  baobab
>>  bluez
>>  bluez-obexd
>
> This is something that FreeBSD pkg does by default and I find it to be very
> convenient. I have not found any options in apt.conf

FWIW, I would not want to have this happen most of the time, and I would
not find it particularly convenient - especially not when upgrading
hundreds of packages at once, which is something I do at least multiple
times a year and sometimes multiple times a month.

> Looking at the source [1] it seems that space separator is hard-coded..
>

> [1] https://sources.debian.org/src/aptitude/0.8.12-3/src/cmdline/cmdline_prompt.cc/?hl=227#L227

Sounds like a case for a wishlist bug, requesting a new configuration
option, then. No guarantee that one will be added, but it's certainly
less likely that anyone will bother to code this if no one has asked for
it than if someone has.

--
   The Wanderer