Re: How could you load only once a Linux ultility without a batch --input-files kind of option and repeatedly use it on many files? . . .

On Vi, 15 mai 20, 11:27:40, Greg Wooledge wrote:

> As the programmer, you need to know which commands can be invoked in
> which way(s).  Usually a quick glance at the man page will suffice.
>
> Now, in the case of msgfmt(1), I don't actually know the right answer
> for you -- it's not a tool I'm really familiar with.  I will note,
> though, that its manual explicitly says it should be able to handle
> multiple input files:
>
> SYNOPSIS
>        msgfmt [OPTION] filename.po ...
> [...]
>    Input file location:
>        filename.po ...
>               input files

It complains about the empty 'msgid' at the start of each file. As far
as I understand there's nothing wrong with it, so this could be a
documentation bug. The rest of the manpage and GNU docs for 'msgfmt'
only talk about singular files.

> There's something about *your* particular input files that it doesn't
> seem to like.  It seems to be complaining about duplicates.  Maybe
> you've defined something multiple times across multiple files, and it
> doesn't like that?

These are from debian-installer and I have no reason to believe they are
wrong. 'msgfmt' itself has several --check options that confirm it for
single files.

> Anyway, that's why there are several different tools available.  You
> can choose the right one for your task.

Which is why I've come to appreciate the flexibility of 'find' a lot
and, FWIW, I strongly recommend it for any advanced linux user.

Kind regards,
Andrei