Re: Re: Question on Unattended Upgrades

Is there a way to configure it to automatically restart when a package that needs to be restarted is upgraded? Thx.

--Keifer

On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 9:55 PM Victor Sudakov <vas@sibptus.ru> wrote:
Keifer Bly wrote:
>    So upon doing that, I am seeing this:

Please don't use graphics where you could have shown plain text. Not
everyone here is using a graphical mail client.

>    Does this mean it is updating these automatically?

Look for lines matching "Commandline: /usr/bin/unattended-upgrade" in
the log. Text under those lines would inform you what unattended-upgrade
did automatically. Use

grep -A3 unattended-upgrade /var/log/apt/history.log

> Does the OS need to be restarted for this to take effect? Thx.

That depends. If the kernel has been upgraded, then probably yes.

If some daemon has been upgraded, it could be enough to restart the
daemon (or does apt restart it for you automatically? I'm not sure).

If some user utility has been upgraded, then reboot is not required.

--
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
2:5005/49@fidonet http://vas.tomsk.ru/