Re: gnome-disk-utility User Session Defaults issue

On Sat, May 09, 2020, at 22:34:30, Andrei POPESCU
<andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:

> UUID is the preferred method for automating such stuff[1], because they
> are (for all practical purposes) unique, so it ensures there won't be
> conflicts even when swapping drives between systems.
>
> Labels are more convenient for humans, provided that some care is taken
> to avoid conflicts as needed.

Understood.

> [1] Whatever automounter is used by LXDE it will mount removable storage
> under /media/<username>/<label> if the partition has one. This is much
> friendlier than using UUID.

I am using the Cinnamon DE on Unstable. On my system there is no
/media/<username>/<label>.
There are (currently) only:
/media/default/disk
/media/default/sdc
Both are zero-byte directories.

On Sun, May 10, 2020 at 11:20 AM David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:

> Thanks. I hadn't realised the d-i would do that by default. (I've
> never used it to actually partition a disk, but only to allow the
> partitioner to rewrite the LABELs and UUIDs when creating the
> filesystems etc during installation.)

IIRC, I may have done the install in "expert mode".  During the
partitioning phase, you can review and change the parameters for each
partition (including the "label") before committing the partitioning
to disk.

After doing a full-system imaging, using Clonezilla, I did change my
labels like this:
/dev/sda1 as ROOTPART
/dev/sda2 as [not labeled]
/dev/sda5 as SWAPPART
/dev/sda6 as HOMEPART

I used:
 # e2label for partitions 1 and 6,
 # swaplabel for 5.
That was as easy as it gets, no problems there.  Thanks.

Unfortunately, that made no difference to my situation.

Then, since I had a full system image. I deleted the entire /dev/disk
directory structure, and rebooted.
Upon reboot, something in the system automatically rebuilt the entire
/dev/disk directory structure, exactly as it had just been, except
that there are now only the new /dev/disk/by-label zero-byte files
corresponding to the new partition labels I had just put in.  And the
mysterious files /dev/disk/by-label'\x2f' and
/dev/disk/by-label'\x2fhome' are gone.

(But did not solve my situation).

> Your new naming scheme avoids the problem of character set, but
> doesn't scale above N=1, so it wouldn't work for me. For example,
> all my system disks contain two Debian root filesystems, typically
> one generation apart. And "PART" isn't useful, like calling a dog
> "fido animal".

Regarding disk naming, there is only one computer, no LAN.  There is
only one internal drive (ssd), and only one or two usb devices
(external hard drives or thumb drives ever "attached" at any one time.
so device naming shouldn't really be a problem, and I normally just
let the system automatically name and manage all the devices by
itself, and it seems to just use UUID numbers.

I *could* simply change the labels to:
/dev/sda1 as ROOT_PARTITION_1
/dev/sda2 as [not labeled]
/dev/sda5 as SWAP_PARTITION_1
/dev/sda6 as HOME_PARTITION_1

> (BTW bear in mind that LABELs are labelling the filesystems.
> With GPT disks, you also get the opportunity to name the partitions
> themselves, which can be useful.)

I have always use the traditional BIOS setup.  I have never used GPT.
Maybe in the future, but I am reluctant to try to switch my system to
GPT now, with everything else going on.  And since I run Unstable, it
will (hopefully) be a while before I have to do a new install.

> Google can. Typing   gnome mailing lists   yields
> https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo
> as the first hit.

Thanks, I saw that. I intend to root through that and see if any of
the lists might apply to my situation.

Bottom line:
At this point, my computer boots and "seems" to work okay.  Many
(most?) people might say, "It works, so what's the problem?"
I do get the point.  It's just that, maybe I am autistic, but it does
bother me when something just doesn't work the way it is SUPPOSED to.

I am reminded of the situation where a son proudly tells someone that
his father is so good, that he managed to put together the son's new
bicycle with "three parts left over!"

: )

Thank you for indulging me . . .