Re: Cannot display this video mode

On 04/05/2020 20:50, Dan Ritter wrote:
M Bernard Richards wrote:
On 04/05/2020 12:43, Dan Ritter wrote:
M Bernard Richards wrote:
Hi,

I tried to upgrade from Debian 9.12.. (for which the Dell monitor worked
well) to buster and got the above message. Also it says "Optimum resolution
1280 x 1024". I tried the howtoforge.com advice but without success.
At what point did this occur? What had you just done?

Does the machine boot at all?

-dsr-
Hello and thanks for your message.
Custom is for people to keep talking on-list, so that searching
can bring up problems and answers in the future.

I had used a step-by-step?? guide from nixCraft, the final step being to run
(as root) apt-full-upgrade to go from Debian 9.12 to Debian 10 Buster

I then did a reboot to verify that all was OK, and the above message came up
along with "Optimum Resolution 1280 x 1024 60 Hz".

The machine worked fine with this monitor for several weeks prior to this,
using Debian 9.12.

Yes the machine boots and allows me to do Ctrl-Alt-F1 etc. and login as user
and as root

That's good. The most likely issue is that the X server is
ignoring your monitor's capabilities (via EDID) and has just
picked a common resolution ... which is wrong for you.

You can fix this by adding some configuration:

Section "Screen"
         Identifier "Screen0"
         Device     "Card0"
         Monitor    "Monitor0"
         SubSection "Display"
                 Modes "1280x1024
                 Depth     24
         EndSubSection
EndSection

The question is where to put this. /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/
is a likely location. If the Identifier, Device or Monitor
strings are incorrect, you can find them in /var/log/Xorg.0.log
or in ~/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.0.log

-dsr-

Thanks for the suggestions. Tried that, made a file called xorg.conf using the above suggestion and put it with the other config files in /use/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/ to no avail.

mbnr

Stilll no luck

https://www.avg.com