Re: Hmmm... /boot is too small. what's the best way to increase it's size?

On Sun 10 May 2020 at 16:30:56 (+0200), Sven Hartge wrote:
> David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > If the answer is many, you could shrink some of them by rebuilding
> > their initrd.img files with MODULES=dep, which could reduce each
> > kernel's size from ~40M to <10M.
>
> While this will reduce this initrd size, you should also mention the
> consequences of doing this:
>
>  It only includes the modules update-initramfs thinks are needed to boot
>  the system.
>
> But this also results in two important consequences:
>
> 1) You lose portability of the system. By only including the modules
>    needed to boot in the current hardware this may limit your ability to
>    boot the system on different hardware.
>
> 2) MODULES=dep is a codepath less tested. In my experience this can lead
>    to modules missing which are needed for successful boot, resulting in
>    a failed or incomplete boot.

That's why I wrote "some".

We have no idea what this machine/disk is used for, nor how many
kernels is considered reasonable. But with ~240M available, we're in
the realm of compromise. The suggestion has already been made to
backup (then presumably remove) some kernels. Copying the initrd.img
files before rebuilding as dep is even easier. Were a disaster to
befall, the OP has already mentioned having GRML available. Gigs
of space is available in the df listing presented. So expanding
/boot just doesn't seem urgent enough to be done at five in the
morning.

Cheers,
David.