Re: unexpected behavior of cp and mv

Thanks for the information. I will enter a bug report asking for a fix for the last stretch available samba server. Or maybe for cifs-utils on buster side.

On 4/30/20 3:52 PM, The Wanderer wrote:
On 2020-04-30 at 15:27, Alberto Sentieri wrote:

I run tcpdump while running my simple program on both stretch and
buster. On stretch, x2 uses SMB (version 1, I guess) protocol, while
on buster it uses SMB2 (version 2 or 3).

So, the problem can be solved by adding vers=1.0 to mount.cifs
options. Any version from 2.0 and above will incur in the same
utimensat error. I set vers to 1.0 and it worked properly.
Beware: this is a security hole. My understanding (based on experiences
in my workplace) is that the SMBv1 protocol is known to be inherently,
unfixably insecure, to the point that current Windows versions will not
speak it unless explicitly told to in an out-of-the-way and inconvenient
configuration location.

I would not consider forcing the use of SMBv1 to be a satisfactory
resolution, unless you can be 100% sure that nothing malicious will ever
be in a position to mess around here.