Re: APT had planned for dpkg to do more than it reported back

On 2020-04-29 13:25 +0200, Andrea Borgia wrote:

> Hi.
>
> testing/unstable system here, just did an upgrade and I got the
> following message:
>
> W: APT had planned for dpkg to do more than it reported back (372 vs 389).
>    Affected packages: texlive-latex-base:amd64
>    texlive-latex-extra:amd64 texlive-latex-recommended:amd64
> texlive-pictures:amd64
>
> A few questions
> 1. what does it mean in simple terms?

It's basically a debug message about something that should not happen.
The commit log[1] and comment in the apt source give some hints, but to
me it is still not very clear.

> 2. is there some issue that needs fixing?
> 3. should I report it even if it is a warning?

I don't think something on your system is really broken, but the apt
developers might be interested regardless.

> I have run:
> dpkg --configure -a
> apt-get install -f
> and there were no errors or warnings.
>
> Unless there are good reasons to report it, I'd say I can let it drop,
> right?

It's up to you.  If the message comes up again, I would report it, but
probably not at the first incident.

Cheers,
       Sven

1. https://salsa.debian.org/apt-team/apt/-/commit/dabe9e2482180ada77d2adda2b3c03db22059fb8