Re: Backup ideas

On Tue, Apr 28, 2020 at 12:16 PM Andrei POPESCU
<andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Ma, 28 apr 20, 11:43:22, Default User wrote:
> > > Andy Smith <andy@strugglers.net> wrote:
> >
> > 1 - First, regarding:
> > > [vast mounts of quoted text snipped - please don't quote too much!]
> >
> > I didn't realize some trimming might be needed.  I guess I just
> > figured you can't scroll through an email for information that has
> > been trimmed.  And on some lists, like OpenBSD and Arch, people will
> > actually yell at you for trimming or not providing enough information.
>
> Ideally every message should be as short as possible while still being
> as much as possible self-contained.
>
> Proper attribution of quotes is also much appreciated.
>
> > And, I always worry that today's free/libre can be tomorrow's
> > proprietary/unfree.
>
> See "Tentacles of Evil" test.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debian_Free_Software_Guidelines#debian-legal_tests_for_DFSG_compliance
>
> Short version: once a software has been released under a free software
> license not even the author can change it. They can only change the
> license for future versions. Anybody else is free to fork from the last
> free version.
>
> This is not just theoretical, it has already happened in several cases
> and will likely happen again if the software in question has any
> significant user base.
>
> > But off-site backups require a place for them to be, the ongoing
> > effort of getting them there (and back, in a timely manner, if
> > needed), and some cost involved.  And the storage place is also
> > subject to "disasters" , or just going out of business overnight.
>
> At the same time with a "local" disaster? Highly unlikely.
>
> > On-line backups have the same problems, in addition to the fact that
> > once your data is "out there", even if it is encrypted, it can be
> > "cracked" by governments, corporations, or individuals, at their
> > leisure.
>
> [citation needed]
>
> With current encryption methods it's probably easier to compromise the
> source computer instead. Or https://xkcd.com/538/.
>
> Kind regards,
> Andrei
> --
> http://wiki.debian.org/FAQsFromDebianUser

Hi Andrei.

On 2020-04-28 [TU] at 12:16 EDT, Andrei POPESCU
<andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ideally every message should be as short as possible while still being
> as much as possible self-contained.
>
> Proper attribution of quotes is also much appreciated.

Okay.  Do you mean like this?

> See "Tentacles of Evil" test.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debian_Free_Software_Guidelines#debian-legal_tests_for_DFSG_compliance

Noted. And read.

> > But off-site backups require a place for them to be, the ongoing
> > effort of getting them there (and back, in a timely manner, if
> > needed), and some cost involved.  And the storage place is also
> > subject to "disasters" , or just going out of business overnight.
>
> At the same time with a "local" disaster? Highly unlikely.

Well, things can (and do) happen, anywhere at any time.  And things
that are away from me are not under my control.

("Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get me!")

> > On-line backups have the same problems, in addition to the fact that
> > once your data is "out there", even if it is encrypted, it can be
> > "cracked" by governments, corporations, or individuals, at their
> > leisure.
>
> [citation needed]

I would have thought that by now, this would be almost universally
accepted and considered virtually self-evident.

("Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get me!")

> With current encryption methods it's probably easier to compromise the
> source computer instead. Or https://xkcd.com/538/.

There is truth in that.  Yes, I am familiar with "lead-pipe"
cryptanalysis.  But:
("Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get me!")
- and these days, they don't even have to get out of their chair to
get information . . .