Re:

On Thu, Apr 23, 2020, 18:09 David Christensen <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com> wrote:
On 2020-04-22 13:52, Default User wrote:
> Hey,
>
> A recent thread got me to thinking. So I checked my primary (only
> installed) ssd:
>
> sudo smartctl --test=long /dev/sda
>
> which promised to run the tests, but returned to a command prompt,
> with no further messages.
> So after the promised test end time I did:
>
> sudo smartctl --all /dev/sda
>
> which gave this:

> SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED

I pay attention to this item.

> General SMART Values:
> Offline data collection status:  (0x02) Offline data collection activity
> was completed without error.

> Self-test execution status:      (   0) The previous self-test routine completed
> without error or no self-test has ever
> been run.

I pay attention to these items.

> SMART Attributes Data Structure revision number: 10
> Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds:
> ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAG     VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE
> UPDATED  WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
>    1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate     0x0032   095   095   050    Old_age
> Always       -       0/5466601
>    5 Retired_Block_Count     0x0033   100   100   003    Pre-fail
> Always       -       0
>    9 Power_On_Hours_and_Msec 0x0032   091   091   000    Old_age
> Always       -       8197h+53m+29.020s

I ignore the "old age" and "pre-fail" notations.

> SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1
> Num  Test_Description    Status                  Remaining
> LifeTime(hours)  LBA_of_first_error
> # 1  Extended offline    Completed without error       00%      8197         -
> # 2  Short offline       Completed without error       00%      8196         -
> # 3  Short offline       Completed without error       00%      7883         -
> # 4  Short offline       Completed without error       00%      7883         -
> # 5  Short offline       Completed without error       00%      7883         -
> # 6  Extended offline    Completed without error       00%      7003         -
> # 7  Extended offline    Completed without error       00%      7002         -
> # 8  Short offline       Completed without error       00%      6999         -

I pay attention to these items.

> Since, I recall, that ssd drives do tend to fail quickly and without
> notice, is it time to get a new drive and reinstall from scratch?

I have seen lots of HDD failures and a few USB flash drive failures, but
no SSD failures (yet).  The USB flash drive failures do tend towards
all-or-nothing or all-or-very-slow, sometimes accompanied with the smell
of roasting electronics.

> If so, recommendations?

I prefer Intel and Samsung, but any major brand should do.

> I think I want to continue to use an ssd, because even though it can
> fail without warning, this would be in a laptop, and I want to avoid
> shock damage to a mechanical drive at all costs.

The only HDD's I buy are large capacity 3.5" SATA enterprise HDD's for
storage and backups.

> I an currently running Debian Unstable, on a 5-year-old laptop (Dell
> Inspiron 3000 series, 8Gb ram, Intel i3 processor, traditional BIOS
> booting). It has space for only one, 2.5-inch drive.
>
> lsblk:
> NAME   MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
> sda      8:0    0 111.8G  0 disk
> ├─sda1   8:1    0    28G  0 part /
> ├─sda2   8:2    0     1K  0 part
> ├─sda5   8:5    0   7.9G  0 part [SWAP]
> └─sda6   8:6    0    76G  0 part /home
> sr0     11:0    1  1024M  0 rom
>
> The 120Gb ssd is "adequate"; root partition is 38% full, and home
> partition is 45% full.
> Swap partition is rarely if ever used; not sure i it is really necessary.

A ~10.6 GB root is in the ballpark for a Debian graphical workstation.

I put my bulk data on a Samba server.

I tried running without swap -- those systems crashed.  Now I do 1-2 GB.

> User case is conventional, nothing taxing. No video editing, gaming, etc.
>
> And yes, I do back up, home partition only, using rsync to an external
> usb drive:
>
> sudo rsync -avvzHAXPish --delete /home/default
> /media/default/USBHD005/Backup_of_home_directory_of_Dell_Debian_dimwit

You should get two more -- keep one on-site, keep one near-site, keep
one off-site, and rotate them periodically (weekly, bi-monthly, etc.).

> I suppose I could [learn to] do a full system backup and restore to a
> new drive, if I had to.

I have never done an old-school dump(8)/ restore(8).  I keep my system
images small enough to fit on "16 GB" devices.  I take and restore
images with dd(1), which is available in the Debian installer rescue
shell (but preferably with a USB live drive and a Perl script I wrote).
As other readers have mentioned, Clonezilla is an option.

> And if I do need to try to copy my current install to a new drive
> (instead of a fresh install), what is the EASIEST way to do that?

Building up a blank disk into a working system drive requires many
tedious steps -- you have to move the partition table(s), bootloader,
all partitions, and the contents of those partitions (e.g. swap,
filesystems, whatever).  Things get harder if you add encryption, LVM,
or non-standard filesystems like ZFS.  The installer takes care of many
of those details for you.  I believe Clonezilla also does so.

A raw binary copy with dd(1) bypasses all of those messy details except
for relocating the backup GPT partition table if the device size has
changed.  That is one reason why I still use MBR.

David

Hi.

Thanks to all for the information.

I may just stay with what I have, for now. If it ain't broke, don't fix it?

BTW, aside from neglecting to put a subject line in the original post, l should have mentioned that both the root and home partitions are regular ext4 (no lvm or encryption).

And by BIOS booting, I meant using a traditional mbr, not gpt. And I use grub2, not lilo or anything else.

May I ask one additional question?
I back up my home partition only, because:

1)  I figure that I always reinstall the system from scratch, and either re-attach the home partition, or add back the data from it bit by bit if re-attaching the home partition doesn't work (well).

2)  Years ago, I tried to back up my whole system using rsync.  That created a bizarre, seemingly recursive monstrosity which ended only when the entire drive was filled.  I never forgot that.

Note: years later, I did read something on the Arch wiki about excluding something when backing up a system using rsync, to avoid that recursive loop problem. But I have no desire to stick my hand back into the hornet's nest again.

So, in backing up my home partition, is use:

sudo rsync -avvzHAXPish --delete /home/default /media/default/USBHD005/Backup_of_home_directory_of_Dell_Debian_dimwit

to backup my home directory to an external (local) usb hdd.

I just sort of came up with that process (and the command syntax) on my own.

Good? Bad? Indifferent?
Comments welcome. Especially on the rsync command syntax.