Re: Activate the mouse after a reboot which didn't activate the mouse?

On Friday 24 April 2020 14:51:26 rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:

> Some followup: on my Wheezy system, I find kpsmoused running, I don't
> see that on either my Jessie or Buster systems.
>
> I'm guessing that kpmoused might be what helps the mouse run in Wheezy
> / non systemd.  I'm pretty sure that Buster is systemd, and maybe so
> is Jessie.  In any event, I can't find an actual file named kpsmoused
> on any of the systems (which surprises me on Wheezy).
>
> On Friday, April 24, 2020 02:34:29 PM rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
> > Today I had to reboot my Jessie system, after Firefox totally hung
> > the system (for over an hour, with 20 tabs open).  After the reboot,
> > it seems that most things are working (well, the things I can test
> > without a mouse), but the mouse is not working.
> >
> > The Jessie system is connected to a KVM system, and because I had to
> > run some errands, I started the boot process and then left, with the
> > KVM set to the Jessie system.
> >
> > When I came back and tried it, I found that the mouse is not
> > working.  The mouse still works on the other two systems connected
> > to the KVM switch.
> >
> > I've tried googling and looking at (and trying some) commands found
> > with apropos mouse or apropos x (a lot), but I haven't found a way
> > to activate the mouse.
An lsmod on one of my wheezy systems shows
hid_logitech_dj        17073  0
usbhid                 39608  1 hid_logitech_dj
hid                    72252  2 usbhid,hid_logitech_dj
crc_t10dif             12333  1 sd_mod
floppy                 51935  0
microcode              17386  0
ata_generic            12440  0
ata_piix               25279  3
uhci_hcd               26254  0
tg3                   129085  0
libphy                 22438  1 tg3
ehci_hcd               43561  0
libata                152992  2 ata_generic,ata_piix
scsi_mod              125436  3 sg,libata,sd_mod
usbcore               124257  5 uhci_hcd,uvcvideo,ehci_hcd,usbhid
usb_common             12339  1 usbcore

clues? 2 other wheezy machines are similar. Put a tail
on /var/log/messages, and unplug, then replug the mouse, it might get
discovered then. It should generate some activity in the log.

> > (I'm assuming that if I reboot and mouse around early after the
> > reboot, the mouse will be activated, but I'd like to avoid another
> > reboot, and maybe learn something.)
> >
> > While I was looking for ways to activate the mouse, I did come
> > across a place where I could click (well, via a keyboard shortcut)
> > something that said something like: "activate mouse with KDE" --
> > maybe at some point in time I fat fingered something that unchecked
> > that?
> >
> > Anyway, suggestions appreciated.
> >
> > I have tried to get to the "system settings" ahha, ok, I can type
> > systemsettings at a CLI as user, but (1) I don't know how to
> > navigate within that page to get to the mouse device, (2) but (on
> > another system), although I see things to change about the mouse
> > under Hardware ==> Input Devices ==> Mouse, I don't see anything
> > that appears to activate (or de-activate) the mouse.
> >
> > Suggestions appreciated.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis