Re: apt-mark hold issue (apt Installed: 1.8.2 armhf)

On 19/04/2020 18:27, The Wanderer wrote:
On 2020-04-19 at 13:08, Michael Lange wrote:

Hi,

On Sun, 19 Apr 2020 12:57:12 -0400 The Wanderer
<wanderer@fastmail.fm> wrote:

Does holding a package to not-installed even work? I thought I'd
tried that in the past, and had the result be ignored.
not sure about that, man apt-mark says

" hold is used to mark a package as held back, which will prevent
the package from being automatically installed, upgraded or
removed."
I think my memory has been jogged now. I think the problem is that this
hold doesn't propagate through the dependency-resolution system, but
only serves to prevent the change from being made, with the result that
if the dependency resolver thinks the change is necessary then an
install / upgrade/ whatever operation will fail with "you have held
broken packages".

IIRC and in my experience, this produces breakages in situations which
would otherwise work often enough that I've just given up on trying it.

And just as I finish that first paragraph, I remember the thing that
didn't work with "not-installed" state: 'dpkg --set-selections'.

I don't think apt and dpkg are linked in this respect, they didn't used to be. i.e. holding through apt had no affect on dpkg.

'apt-mark hold' definately prevents a package being selected for install, say as a depend, but you obviously could end up with broken packages if you forced the matter somehow.

To my mind, it should maintain the status quo and mutually exclusive packages should be suitable for 'marking'.
--
Michael Howard