fonts and wine in Debian buster

hello,
I would like to ask anyone using wine, if its possible for Wine to use
the fonts in my system?; short of copying those fonts into the
.wine/drive_c/windows/Fonts folder.
I don't know why Wine won't see fonts in my /usr/share/fonts or even in
the /usr/share/wine/fonts (which I believe are fonts installed when
installing the wine-fonts package). I don't have a .fonts folder in my
home directory, but I have tried that before with no avail.
Basically my application running under Wine has zero fonts available to
it. The only way to get it use fonts is by copying to the
aforementioned folder. Please advise.
thank you,