Re: javascript

Russell L. Harris wrote:

> When attempting to listen to a recorded pipe organ broadcast posted on
> a web site of Minnesota Public Radio (MPR), I am taken to a page which
> has the message,"To view this content, Javascript must be enabled and
> Adobe Flash Player must be installed."
>
> The page with the links to the broadcast is titled "A
> Tribute to Notre Dame Cathedral":
> https://pipedreams.publicradio.org/listings/2020/2015/
>
> The link is titled "Audio Complete Show 1 hr 58 Min":
> https://pipedreams.publicradio.org/www_publicradio/tools/
> media_player/popup.php?name=pipedreams/2020/04/13_pipedreams_128
>
> I am running Debian 10.  Synaptic does not find in the Debian archive
> a Javascript package.  And I seem to remember that Javascript is not a
> good thing.
>
> So, is there an alternative?  I have contacted MPR, but MPR has not
> yet offered a solution.
>
> RLH

On debian multimedia there are packages for flashplayer

ii  flashplayer-chromium                    32.0.0.344-dmo1
amd64        Flash Player for Chromium (Pepper)
ii  flashplayer-mozilla                     3:32.0.0.344-dmo1+deb10u1
amd64        Adobe Flash Player

they work pretty well.

Flash is being discontinued by Adobe, but still many sites use it and are
not migrating to HTML5.

I guess it will be required.

The java script thingie you enable/disable in your browser.