Re: Debian is testing Discourse

Hello,

On Tue, Apr 14, 2020 at 08:14:22AM -0400, rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
> I had to look up Neil McGovern to find out what "status" he has in the Debian
> organization.  IIUC, he was the DPL (I guess I learned an acronym) in
> something like 2015, and he may now be the executive director of GNOME.
>
> Does he have some current status in Debian that would make his thoughts any
> more of indicative of the intentions of Debian than anyone else?

There are some very strange assumptions being made in the above text
about the decision-making processes of Debian. I have no idea why
you would just imagine that huge sections of project infrastructure
could be torn down and replaced based on the wishes of one person,
even if you started off with having no idea about how it's actually
done. Clearly in a project the size of Debian that sort of behaviour
just wouldn't scale.

Briefly and broadly:

Debian makes decisions based on rough consensus, with some areas of
responsibility delegated to teams. When a decision has to be made
and consensus can't be found, sometimes things are referred to the
Technical Committee, or sometimes they are put to a General
Resolution (a vote).

If you're interested in watching Debian make decisions then I think
it would be best to subscribe to the debian-project mailing list. It
sometimes is not very pretty - maybe the saying about watching
sausages being made applies here.

It does not matter if someone is a highly esteemed Debian developer
and DPL emeritus; if they try to push through a change that is
controversial and ignore dissent then someone will call a GR and
then the proponent has 1 vote just like every other eligible Debian
voter.

Cheers,
Andy