Re: Unstable ==> Testing ==> Stable

On Lu, 13 apr 20, 09:29:50, rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
> Aside: for my own self respect, I want to make some sort of disclaimer here
> (with maybe several points):  I'm sure that sometimes I post things that do
> any of (1) make other people cringe (for one reason or another), (2) make me
> look uninformed (or worse), and (3) other causes for embarrassment (to myself
> of others).
>
> I finally realized that the "normal" progression / hierarchy of the Debian
> releases is from Unstable to Testing to Stable.

Correct. If you were to examine the archive with an ftp client you could
notice that oldstable is actually a symlink to stretch, stable is a
symlink to buster and testing is a symlink to bullseye (the codename for
the next release).

Unstable always points to sid.

> I never looked it up -- I assume that, like most people, we don't look up
> everything but make assumptions based on past experience.  I expected that the
> normal progression for Debian releases would be from Testing (trying
> all / any kind of new, possibly weird things),

That would be experimental (also known as rc-buggy).

> to Unstable (concentrating on things that survived some initial
> testing and now maybe being released to a select group for some real
> pounding en route to Stable.

Trivia: Long ago Debian only had stable and unstable, testing was
introduced later.

Basically packages that are meant for the next stable release are
uploaded to unstable. If they satisfy certain criteria established by
the Release Team (no new RC bugs, tests and/or age in unstable, etc.)
they migrate to testing automatically.

In order to prepare for release, testing is "frozen", i.e. the automatic
migration is disabled and only targeted fixes for RC bugs are manually
approved by the Release Team[1].

When the Release Team considers everything is "ready"[2] the release
happens.

The next release starts as copy of stable and automatic migration from
unstable is enabled again.

[1] This is a simplification, in practice the freeze has different
stages with different rules.
[2] RC bug count is low enough, the distribution overall is consistent,
etc.

Hope this explains,
Andrei