Re: Synaptic error

On 04/12/2020 03:28 PM, songbird wrote:
Richard Owlett wrote:
Using Synaptic I:
1. searched package names for "info"
2. selected it
3. clicked Apply
4. received error message saying
E: Could not open lock file /var/cache/apt/archives/lock - open (2: No such file or directory)
E: Could not open file descriptor -1
E: Unable to lock the download directory

I've had no previous problem with Synaptic.
My Debian version is 9.8
Help please.

   whatever else is going on i would wonder how such
directories were removed?

   was this something you did?

Those are among my questions ;}

   have you changed partitions or mount points or
something here or run some other command which had
unintended consequences?

Not that I know of.
I intend to do a scratch install of Buster shortly, after doing a inventory of applications I actually use. Due to bandwidth constraints and some personal preferences I purchase complete DVD sets.

It has been suggested that I install auditd and was referred to the auditctl man page when I asked for newbie oriented orientation. [Not only is forest concealed by the trees, it is obscured by the veins of the leaves of the trees. Any suggestions for a broad overview?]