Re: Debian is testing Discourse

On Du, 12 apr 20, 16:43:12, Reco wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 12, 2020 at 04:30:05PM +0300, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> >
> > Having a highly e-mail centric community like Debian using it is likely
> > to have a significant impact on its development.
>
> While I admire your optimistic view on things, there's a thing to
> consider:
>
> 1) The proposition was made by Neil McGovern, who's currently listed as
> an Executive Director at [1].
>
> 2) GNOME, for the last ten years or so is known for their own, unique
> approach to the usability and the pursuit of the Modern Desktop™. The end
> result of this, let's put it lightly, is not to everyone's liking.

I'm quite sure the affiliation of *one* Debian Member with a completely
different project has very little (if any) relevance for how Discourse
will develop in the future.

> 3) Summing these two, there's distinct possibility that "e-mail
> interaciton with Discourse" will be considered UnModern in the
> not-so-distant future, and we all known how they deal with UnModern in
> GNOME.

Discourse developers may as well decide that on their own, without any
kind of relation to GNOME design decisions.

In my opinion it's more likely to be a decision based on (perceived)
benefits vs. costs (complexity, security, etc.).

As this is FLOSS one can always chose to contribute, fork or
re-implement.

Kind regards,
Andrei