Re: Anti-malware for my personal Debian workstation?

On Sat, Apr 11, 2020 at 11:01:28PM +0100, Joe wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Apr 2020 19:06:59 +0200 (CEST)
> l0f4r0@tuta.io wrote:
>

> > Anti-malware on Windows is common/best practice [...]

> My feeling is that running as root is considered an extreme no-no in
> Linux (probably apart from the toy distros) and it is this that makes
> Linux viruses non-viable [...]

This is far too simplistic. For one example: how many users (apart
from those system users) do you have on your box? I'd guess just
one: let's call him joe. Where's all the data you care about?
Exactly: /home/joe. And what's the identity your browser runs as?

So one of those newfangled malwares encrypting your stuff and asking
ransom for the decryption keys (aka ransomware) doesn't need system
privileges to hurt you. All the tasty data is already there, with the
right permissions. Yay!

Compose that with the sad fact that nowadays, the browser and some
"cloud" out there is replacing the role your operating system used
to play: operated by actors out there who mainly want to sell your
eyeballs to some third party's ads.

I could go on, but I think you get the gist.

No, I think the only (small) edge free operating systems have over
the rest of the pack is that, on average, their users tend to be
more curious (and, as a result, educated).

Cheers
-- t