Re: geolocation services disabled and Gnome maps

On Saturday 11 April 2020 19:14:22 John Hasler wrote:

> Joe writes:
> > And I live in the easternmost London Borough. So much for accuracy.
> > My ISP's national HQ is in Sheffield, but where the hell Washington
> > comes from, I don't know.
>
> GeoIP usually (though not always) puts me in Elk Mound because that's
> where the CenturyLink concentrator that I connect to is located.
>
> Before the exhaustion of the IPv4 space (and before classless routing)
> you could always tell what country and what ISP an IP was in by
> inspection.  ISPs tended to distribute IPs hierarchically and
> geographically internally, so it didn't take too much research to
> develop fairly reliable databases.  Classless routing plus the buying
> and selling of small blocks of IPs has destroyed that relationship.
> It's also exploding the routing tables.

And I have discovered a way to have a fixed IPv4 address. My router's mac
which I have cloned into a second emergency router, is how they assign
an ipv4 address to me, net result has been a fixed dns address, so I am
now on my 3rd 5 year registration of a namecheap address with
geneslinuxbox.net.  So you can click on the link in my sig, and get this
machine for the last 11 or 12 years w/o me haveing to pay for the much
higher dynamic address I really am.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis