Re: geolocation services disabled and Gnome maps

On Sb, 11 apr 20, 20:31:46, Gene Heskett wrote:

> And I have discovered a way to have a fixed IPv4 address. My router's mac
> which I have cloned into a second emergency router, is how they assign
> an ipv4 address to me, net result has been a fixed dns address, so I am
> now on my 3rd 5 year registration of a namecheap address with
> geneslinuxbox.net.

This very much ISP dependent. My current one will allocate new IPs (v4
as well as v6) on every re-connection, so the only way to keep the same
IPs is connection uptime.

The only benefits I can think of from their side is less management
overhead and charging for fixed IPs (if that is even an option for
private users, didn't bother to check).

Kind regards,
Andrei