Re: geolocation services disabled and Gnome maps

On Fri, 2020-04-10 at 17:51 +0300, Reco wrote:
> 	Hi.
>
> On Fri, Apr 10, 2020 at 08:24:41AM -0500, Anil Felipe Duggirala
> wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 9, 2020, at 11:16 AM, John Hasler wrote:
> > > It's just looking up your IP.  The method isn't reliable (it
> > > usually
> > > puts me on the other side of the state) but it works more often
> > > than
> > > not.
> >
> > I don't believe this is the case.
>
> The software behaviour does not depend on one's beliefs.
>
> $ apt show gnome-maps | grep Dep
> Depends: ... libgeocode-glib0 (>= 3.16.2) ...
>
> $ apt-show libgeocode-glib0 | grep ^Desc
> Nominatim
>
> And the source of geocode-glib shows the actual server they're using:
>
> GeocodeNominatim *
> geocode_nominatim_get_gnome (void)
> {
>     GeocodeNominatim *backend;
>
>     G_LOCK (backend_nominatim_gnome_lock);
>     backend = g_weak_ref_get (&backend_nominatim_gnome);
>     if (backend == NULL) {
>         backend = geocode_nominatim_new ("https://nominatim.gnome.org
> ",
>                                          "zeeshanak@gnome.org");
>         g_weak_ref_set (&backend_nominatim_gnome, backend);
>     }
>     G_UNLOCK (backend_nominatim_gnome_lock);
>
>     return backend;
> }
Could you tell me if this code, by connecting to this service is
getting my location simply by using my IP address?

> > Is there any way I could check to see exactly where Gnome Maps is
> > getting the location from?
>
> Being the GNOME software? The source is the only way to get sure.
> I'd check tcp:443 connections to 8.43.85.23.

There is a connection to that IP address and it starts when I open
Gnome Maps (I think it connects to a different port though, Im a newbie
though)