Re: geolocation services disabled and Gnome maps

On Fri, 2020-04-10 at 15:47 +0200, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 10, 2020 at 08:24:41AM -0500, Anil Felipe Duggirala
> wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 9, 2020, at 11:16 AM, John Hasler wrote:
> > > It's just looking up your IP.  The method isn't reliable (it
> > > usually
> > > puts me on the other side of the state) but it works more often
> > > than
> > > not.
> > >
> > I don't believe this is the case.
>
> You are, of course, entitled to your beliefs. The source is
> over there:
>
>   https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-maps/
>
> I might have had a look, but browsing the repo requires a
> javascript-enabled browser, which I refuse to do unless I'm
> forced to. And at the moment I can't be bothered cloning the
> whole repo to convince you :-)
>
> At this point, your beliefs and those of two-three other
> people just differ ;-D
>
> Cheers
> -- t

I actually now believe you are all right. It is getting my location
based on my IP, I believe this because I don't know of any other easy
way of getting my location. I am on a laptop that does not have a gps
device, nor is it connected to some kind of phone network.
My question remains, why is a Gnome app not respecting the settings I
am inputing in Gnome? (Location Services: Off)
thank you,