Re: Desktop environments

Not sure what exactly is your question aiming at. Each desktop
environment is different, kind of like the controls inside a car,
while they all are made to bring you from A to B.
Still for my trying out tiling window managers was a big step in
becoming more productive. I love my i3wm. Try them out and find the
one that suits you best? The concept was confusing to me too but after
all DE are just packages that you install like others and select one
from your login screen menu. Leave your original one there and you can
easily go back.