Re: using Webex from Stretch

On Friday, April 10, 2020 3:55 AM, Curt <curty@free.fr> replied:

Yes, thank you.  On Wednesday, April 8, 2020 5:26 PM, I wrote:

> What I did was to get Webex's add-on cisco_webex_extension.xpi and add it
> to Firefox.

I have confirmed that that's the same extension as I get at the site you have
suggested.

On Friday, April 10, 2020 3:55 AM, Curt <curty@free.fr> replied:

> *Connect to Audio and Start Your Video*
> (Have you gone through these recommended steps and failed?)

Yesterday I did play more with the Webex settings and connected to a meeting
with good audio and video reception.  I did not have a chance to test a
microphone.  It seemed that I got no incoming sound unless I chose "Allow
Microphone".  Furthermore, whether I received sound depended on whether I
chose Mute or Unmute for my (non-existent) microphone.  I forget which
position allowed incoming sound.  I was surprised that it mattered.

I got what I needed yesterday, given that I didn't want to speak anyway.  I'm
grateful for all the help here.  Now I need to read up on how to initiate a
Webex conference (maybe from my wife's Windows box) so that I can do testing
whenever I want.  And I need to locate a working microphone.

Thanks again.

On Fri, Apr 10, 2020 at 07:55:25AM -0000, Curt wrote:
> On 2020-04-06, Kleene, Steven (kleenesj) <kleenesj@UCMAIL.UC.EDU> wrote:
> > My employer is now having lots of audio/video conferences, some of which I
> > should at least listen to.  Unfortunately, they are doing the conferences
> > with Cisco Webex.  Webex uses an app that's not available for Debian Linux.
>
> There's a *browser extension* for Firefox. Have you installed it (there are
> security implications)?

Oh, c'mon. Cisco? Security implications? Say it ain't so! You must be
kidding [1] !!1!

Cheers

[1] https://prod.lwn.net/Articles/784758/
-- tomás