Re: Any way to open Thunar as root beside this?

On 07.04.2020 23:55, kaye n wrote:
On Wed, Apr 8, 2020 at 1:50 AM john doe <johndoe65534@mail.com> wrote:
On 4/7/2020 7:42 PM, kaye n wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 8, 2020 at 1:40 AM kaye n <guikaye@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello Friends!
>>
>> I was just wondering if there are  easier ways to open Thunar file manager
>> as root?
>>
>> Right now what I do is this:
>>
>> Open xfce4-terminal,
>> Execute:  sudo thunar
>> Type my password.
>>
>> Not a big deal but if there is an easier way I'd like to know.

What is the issue?:
- Entering pwd when prompted
- Opening XFCE for terminal

--
John Doe

No issue at all. I was just wondering if there was another way.  In another distro, I press Ctrl+Alt+Space and type 'gksu filemanager' and type my password, that's it.  I find it much easier. Plus there's no terminal open in the background.

But like I said, not a big deal. Just asking if there's another way besides opening terminal and typing 'sudo thunar' then password.

That's all.
Thanks

You can create a custom .desktop file by using "exo-desktop-item-edit" [1] utility:
       $ exo-desktop-item-edit --create-new -t Application --name "Hazardous Thunar" --comment "Open Thunar with elevated rights" --command "pkexec /usr/bin/thunar" --icon "Thunar" ~/Desktop/
This command will create application file named "Hazardous Thunar" on your Desktop.
You can create a new item for your application panel [2], using Launcher plugin, in the same manner.
gksu\gksudo is now deprecated, so you have to use "pkexec" to launch files as root with GUI dialog. Fortunately Thunar already comes with polkit [3] action file, so you don't have to make a custom one.

[1] https://docs.xfce.org/xfce/exo/desktop-item-edit
[2] https://docs.xfce.org/xfce/xfce4-panel/start#panel
[3] https://wiki.debian.org/PolicyKit
--