Re: using Webex from Stretch

On Monday, April 06, 2020 12:52:41 PM Kleene, Steven (kleenesj) wrote:
> My employer is now having lots of audio/video conferences, some of which I
> should at least listen to.  Unfortunately, they are doing the conferences
> with Cisco Webex.  Webex uses an app that's not available for Debian Linux.
> I've tried Webex's test site and have concluded that getting the full
> audio/video conference is not an option.  Mostly (so far) I don't need
> video anyway.  For audio only, Webex does let me call in to a toll
> telephone number and enter an event code.  That works.
>
> To avoid the phone charge, I can use a cellphone that has unlimited free
> minutes.  But I'd rather sit at my desktop.  It seems VoIP should let me
> connect to the toll number for free.  There are many Linux VoIP programs,
> but I haven't tried them yet.  Do such programs require everyone at both
> ends to be running the same program (as is done with Skype)?
>
> Can you recommend one or more VoIP programs that allow toll-free access?
> I'm running Stretch with a simple window manager (fvwm), not Gnome or KDE.

Without thinking too hard about this, and without know for sure, I'd bet that
you can connect to that telephone to that toll number using Google Voice, for
free if it is in the US.

I use Google Voice with a hardware VOIP device (ObiHai), but that is not
necessary -- just have a means of audio output (and input if you want to
talke) on your computer, then set up a free Google Voice account.