Re: mutt does not find mailcap entry

On Sat, Apr 04, 2020 at 02:43:24PM +0200, Beatrice Torracca wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have been trying to make mutt open pdf files from the
> view-attachment dialog.
>
> I am using a Debian buster (Linux beapc 4.19.0-8-amd64 #1 SMP Debian
> 4.19.98-1 (2020-01-26) x86_64 GNU/Linux) with Mutt 1.10.1
> (2018-07-13).

Following your detailed description I'd expect it to work.

The only idea I can offer at the moment (and that's what
I'd try) is to run vim under strace to watch it trying
to open the mailcap and perhaps to exec evince. Since
mutt takes posession of the screen, it seems best to direct
strace's output to a file and examine it later. Like so:

  strace -f -o my_trace_file -e trace=open,%process mutt

(the -f is for "follow", to follow along forks; the -e filters
the system calls traced (the traces tend to be a bit...
intimidating).

Just try to do as few steps as you have to (until mutt tries
and fails to call evince), to keep the trace manageable.

Hope that helps
-- tomás