Re: Unsolvable dependency problems around libc / libcrypt on debian testing/bullseye

On Sun, 29 Mar 2020 at 13:33, Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:

> So you have a multiarch (amd64 and i386) system, with amd64 repositories
> for Skype and Docker.
>
> Why do you need i386? I'm guessing you might have some locally installed
> packages as well. Please show also the output of
>
>     aptitude search '~o'
>     aptitude search '~b'

I would not bot able to answer it, maybe the scanner driver. I do use
skype and docker. Anyway, here the output:

 sudo aptitude search '~o'
Warning: Invalid locale (please review locale settings, this might
lead to problems later):
  locale::facet::_S_create_c_locale name not valid
i   libapt-inst2.0                                              - deb
package format runtime library
i   libapt-pkg5.0                                               -
package management runtime library
i   libdns-export1104                                           -
Exported DNS Shared Library
i   libip4tc0                                                   -
netfilter libip4tc library
i   libip6tc0                                                   -
netfilter libip6tc library
i   libisc-export1100                                           -
Exported ISC Shared Library
i   libjson-c3                                                  - JSON
manipulation library - shared library
i   libprocps7                                                  -
library for accessing process information from /proc
i   libreadline7                                                - GNU
readline and history libraries, run-time libraries
i A linux-image-5.2.0-3-amd64                                   -
Linux 5.2 for 64-bit PCs (signed)
i   net.downloadhelper.coapp                                    -
Video DownloadHelper companion app
i   perl-modules-5.28                                           - Core
Perl modules
i   scangearmp-common                                           -
ScanGear MP for Linux.
i   scangearmp-mg2500series                                     -
ScanGear MP for Linux.

sudo aptitude search '~b'
Warning: Invalid locale (please review locale settings, this might
lead to problems later):
  locale::facet::_S_create_c_locale name not valid

downloadhelper is part of a firefox extension.
"locale" is one of the packages that is currently broken (update:
could reinstall and it is working now)

> > Pinned packages:
> >      libpython3.8-minimal -> 3.8.2-1 with priority -30000
> >      libcrypt1 -> 1:4.4.15-1 with priority -30000
> >      libcrypt1:i386 -> 1:4.4.15-1 with priority -30000
> >      powertop -> 2.10-1+b1 with priority 30000
> >      openssh-server -> 1:8.1p1-1 with priority 30000
> >      grub-efi-amd64 -> 2.04-3 with priority 30000
> >      isc-dhcp-client -> 4.4.1-2 with priority 30000
>
> Why did you add these pins?

When I did the upgrade (the big one after 4 months) apt-listbugs
warned about a number of bugs and I felt safer to pin those packages.

> > I tried to unpin these packages:
> >
> > sudo apt-mark unhold libcrypt1
>
> Pins are not holds...

Thank you, this was not obvious to me. I now deleted the pins from
/etc/apt/preferences.d/apt-listbugs and rerun update+upgrade and that
seems to have fixed my problems.
\o/

> Your system is a... complex mixture that is very easy to break.

You refer to my apt policy I assume and/or my apt sources list? I
would be happy to simplify it. In my sources.list I now only have
unstable:

deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ unstable main non-free contrib
deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian/ unstable main non-free contrib

For my apt preferences I had:

Package: *
Pin: release a=testing
Pin-Priority: 650

Package: *
Pin: release a=unstable
Pin-Priority: 600

To be honest back in the day when I did that, I struggled to really
understand it. My intention was to have the system take packages from
unstable and if a package is not available there then from testing.
Does it even do that?
Thank you a lot for your help!

Marty