KDE System Settings "Default Applications" not working as expected

(it's quiet on the KDE list, so trying it here now)

The KDE System Settings "Default Applications" is not working as expected.
 System Settings - Personalization - Applications - Default Applications

I am on Debian testing ("bullseye"), all up-to-date
Operating System: Debian GNU/Linux
KDE Plasma Version: 5.17.5
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.62.0
Qt Version: 5.12.5
Kernel Version: 5.4.0-4-amd64
OS Type: 64-bit

Mozilla Firefox 74.0
Thunderbird 68.6.0

CASE (A)
Web Browser - Default Component - Open http and https URLs
"in an application based on the contents of the URL"
this selection works very strange, I do not even foresee what app will become selected:
- some times always Firefox is used (as expected and wished)
- some times in Konsole, right clicking a link to a web site, i.e. as found in a man page, and in the context menu selecting "open link", it opens another Konsole, while Thunderbird and LibreOffice Writer try to open the link in Thunderbird - some times always Thunderbird is used, independent from which app I try to invoke the browser from (I tried it from Konsole, Thunderbird or LibreOffice Writer)

CASE (B)
Web Browser - Default Component - Open http and https URLs
"in the following application:"
the drop down menu only lists the "Bookmark Editor" and as a second entry what in the Start Menu (Alternative version)'s sub-menu "Internet" is shown as the second Firefox entry there. I have placed 2 Firefox entries there, for each of my Firefox profiles one. So, I could chose to use the (second) Firefox entry configured to use that profile, but as the other Firefox entry is not offered in the drop down menu, I cannot select to use that (first) Firefox entry using the other Firefox profile. Obviously, the drop menu is not listing all available options, and also does not offer a possibility to browse to the other options. Unfortunately, the only shown Firefox entry is not even the one linking to the default profile.

CASE (C)
Web Browser - Default Component - Open http and https URLs
"with the following command:"
firefox
or
/usr/lib/firefox/firefox --new-instance -p profilename
some times it was for longer time not used the clearly specified firefox. Instead, the "Bookmark Editor" became used (yes, I confirmed the selection with APPLY button, I even logged out and in again)! After uncounted attempts, it suddenly for no obvious reason started to use Firefox again.

MAYBE RELATED ISSUE?
Firefox and Thunderbird do ALWAYS ask if these applications shall be set as the default apps, each time the apps are opened in what ever situation or context. My answer to set these apps as the default apps is never memorized.

QUESTION
Where could I manually try to fix this, which are the configuration files which might be corrupted or inconsistent and for which words should I watch out for in these files? Besides only considering KDE Plasma configuration files, maybe other files could be involved in this problem as well, like configuration files from Debian's alternatives-update system, or some MIME type configurations?