Re: Guest can't see hosts network connection using QEMU-KVM

On 3/27/20 4:25 AM, Alexander V. Makartsev wrote:
On 27.03.2020 12:45, deloptes wrote:
Gary L. Roach wrote:

AMD-64 4 cpu processor

Host Debian Buster

Guest kubuntu 18.04

Virtual Machine QEMU
Why don't you take virtualbox or vmplayer?

Choosing QEMU in such a case is masochism pure.

I've had quite smooth sailing using KVM with libvirt\QEMU and it works just fine, just like virtualbox, and I don't have to install and manage additional hypervisor on my host.
With "virt-manager" [1] GUI app it is simple to manage guests and virtual network, at least for x86_64 architecture it is working great.

[1] https://virt-manager.org/

--
With kindest regards, Alexander.

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀

I second this.  I run Windows (for taxes), debian, reactos, tails and suse VMs using virt-manager and libvirt\QEMU.

I even run weather station software 24/7 in a VM.

You can pass usb ports through to the vm ... like in updating Garmin GPS in Windows.  The networking is taken care of by virt-manager.  You can use NAT (for a private address in the 192.168.x.x range) or direct connection through the host ethernet port to my LAN in the 172.16.x.x range. virt-manager will even connect to a remote machine (over the LAN with ssh tunnel) to run VMs on that machine just as if they were on the local host.  Each VM has its own window on the host (I use kde) where you can run text or graphical interfaces with mouse and keyboard support ... even VMs on remote host.

--

...Bob