Re: NAS software for Raspberry Pi that supports full range of client OS (Win-10, MacOS-X, Linux) ?

On Tuesday 24 March 2020 18:46:00 David Christensen wrote:

> On 2020-03-24 03:49, Gene Heskett wrote:

> >> If I understand correctly it could help.
> >>
> >> But what you also can do, since you have a web server running on
> >> the pi already, is use Apache's mod_proxy on the web server machine
> >> pointing to the RPI. This way you don't need to copy it over from
> >> the pi's apache2 to the web server on your other machine, as you
> >> access it from directly the pi's Apache, proxied trough the other
> >> web server. (This is assuming the other web server is also Apache)
> >
> > Apache2 that is. I assume I'll have to setup the web page on the pi
> > to serve the stuff up first? I haven't done that yet. Thereby
> > divorcing it from sshfs etc?
> >
> > Thank you Vincent.
> >
> > Cheers, Gene Heskett
>
> I hosted services from home many years ago.  My bandwidth was very
> quickly consumed and connectivity became a major problem.  Now I use
> domain hosting and VPS services.

Whereas I installed the 16 inch gun version of bot killers, iptables.  It
has taken 65 lines of DROP's in the form of xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/24 to
control the bots but I seem to be doing that well now, and my net
bandwidth has dropped like a rock, was peaking at >100g a month but now
theres room for me a get a packet in edgewise if someone wants a ready
built preempt-rt kernel and ready to configure for their hardware but
bleeding edge LinuxCNC for their rpi4. But while I am adding rules,
they'll move the bots to get away from people like me. They don't want
to understand that if they want to mirror my site, they can pay me for
the bandwidth used. Index it yes, mirror it daily, no.

Now its about tied with incoming email. And the folks who want my stuff
can get it at the upload rate I'm paying for. Nominally 300k/second.

> David

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis