Re: NAS software for Raspberry Pi that supports full range of client OS (Win-10, MacOS-X, Linux) ?

On 2020-03-24 01:43, Rick Thomas wrote:

On Mon, Mar 23, 2020, at 10:59 PM, Vincent Lammens wrote:

openmediavault.

Are there plugins to handle NFS (for Linux clients) and AFP (for Mac clients)?  Or (since both of them do speak SMB, whatever it's limitations) is SMB/ftp/ssh considered sufficient for all?

Running multiple file sharing services against the same backing store sounds like a recipe for disaster. Different operating systems and different network file sharing protocols make different assumptions about file system features and how to implement translations to foreign file systems. Even fundamental stuff, such as user and/or group identification, binary vs. text mode, end-of-line character sequence, permissions vs. attributes, file locking, etc., often require imperfect compromises on the client and/or server. Things get even more complex as you add more features -- access control lists (ACL), file and dataset properties, snapshots, clones, file flags, securelevels, security policies, etc..

I use Samba alone for my SOHO file server. If/when I want another protocol, it will have its own backing store.

David